Terms starting with ‘V’
- Vendor lock-in
- Dependency on the particular cloud vendor and difficulty moving from one cloud vendor to another due to lack of standardized protocols, APIs, data structures (schema), and service models.
- Vertical cloud
- A cloud computing environment that is optimized for use in a particular industry, such as health care or financial services.
- Virtual machine (VM)
- A file (typically called an image) that, when executed, looks to the user like an actual machine. Infrastructure as a Service is often provided as a VM image that can be started or stopped as needed. Changes made to the VM while it is running can be…
- Virtual private data center
- Resources grouped according to specific business objectives.
- Virtual private cloud — A private cloud that exists within a shared or public cloud, e.g., the Amazon VPC that allows Amazon EC2 to connect to legacy infrastructure on an IPsec VPN.